Friday, March 30, 2012

First sewing project!

Last night I attended an "Intro to the sewing machine" workshop at Make, with Diana Rupp. The class was 2 hours, only 4 people (it's usually 6) and all materials provided. The project was a simple fold wallet. The button is decorative, it's actually sealed with a velcro button underneath. Diana's a really great teacher, very patient, and gives lots of good tips. I'm happy to say I got the hang of threading the machine, which was what I'd always found the most intimidating.


This was my test to see if I'd like sewing enough to buy a machine and I did. The exact one we were working on (Janome Magnolia 7318). I also bought one of my teacher's books: Sew Everything Workshop. She offers classes in sewing home goods, (like pillowcases), as well as bags, skirts and even undies for those of you who live in the NY area.

No comments:

Post a Comment